There is nothing better for a "Tea Sipper" (like me) than to go out and pick a fresh lemon from my own lemon tree. Meyer lemons are the best and are easy to grow from a cutting. I'm sure if you look on eBay or just "google" Meyer Lemon tree" for sale, you can find a Meyer Lemon tree for yourself.
I got mine from a friend. She bought it at Lowe's at Christmas time and soon realized she had no room with enough light for it. I gladly took it! I winter mine over every year in my little greenhouse and move it outdoors as soon as I'm sure there will be no more frost. It would be fine near a sunny window or glass door if you if don't have a greenhouse.
I've even dried the fruit when I've had a bumper crop. It's easy and will also work on any type of lemon or oranges too. Make thin slices and put them in a single layer in a dehydrator. (If you don't have a dehydrator, you can do it in the summer outside using screen wire). leave in the dehydrator or wire until they are dry with just enough moisture that they will bend a little without breaking. You do not want them to be crisp. I store mine in fruit jars with a tight lid and usually put a couple of those little desiccant packets in the container.
Often, around Christmastime, Meyer lemons are available in the grocery store. You can save the seeds and plant them inside. When the little plants are 3 or 4 inches tall, and the weather permits, move them outside or place them in a sunny window. They may need a little more water if inside. Water when the soil is dry about an inch deep. These plants can eventually grow to be two or three feet tall and wide so make sure you have space for the adult plant.
Check out my other Gardening blog here: http://www.tipsforgardeningonline.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment